Sunday, April 19, 2009

No More Monkeys Jumping Out of Bed!

It was inevitable, but I had hoped to avoid the situation for at least 6 more months. Little Brother (also known as "Monkey Boy" and "Mr. Hands") climbed out of his crib. I know many children are already in a toddler bed or twin bed by 23 months, but I kept praying he would be like his Big Brother and love his crib so much he would have to be forced to switch at 30 months or so! I feel somewhat prepared... yes, somewhat. The crib converts to a toddler bed, but I'm not sure where the hardware for the conversion is (the attic, his closet?) We've got a twin bed on the floor already (great for mom or dad when he's sick) but would he sleep any better on it? I've researched options like a crib tent or turning the crib around so that the short side is closest to the wall and the high side is facing out into the room. Though I would barely be able to reach in there to put him in or take him out unless he were standing. Then comes the other decisions. Do we remove his toys so they don't tempt him to leave his bed or do we leave them so that he can (hopefully) play with them when he wakes in the morning and give mommy and daddy a chance for a little extra sleep? Should we invest in a video monitor so we can keep an eye on him if/when he's up and about? Since my Monkey Boy can climb any baby gate faster than you can blink, we will need a way to lock the door so he doesn't get out and fall down the stairs or try to run a bath! We've got a knob cover for now, but Mr. Hands will soon figure out how to remove it. What then?

I know all parents go through this, and it all works out in the end, but I've been dreading this for over a year now. Easy-going Big Brother did not prepare me for this. But now I will stop my chatter, breathe, and remind myself that God has prepared me, and it really WILL all work out in the end.

No comments: